Monday 2 July 2012

Album Review : EXO K MAMA

Mama Mini Album
1. Mama
2. What Is Love
3. History
4. Angel
5. Two Moons (feat SHINee Key)
6. Machine


Disclaimer : This review is based on videos I got from Youtube, so there's a probability of it not be as accurate as the CD quality. Exo is a new group, hence my ability to differentiate their voice isn't great.


If I didn't know Mama before listening to the album, I probably would hate it. My first impression of the song is weird. The random chanting was cool along with the video but alone, that would be strange. Having said that, I thought it was clever to list it first on the album. I'm no music prodigy but the song sound like it's really hard to compose. It has a lot of different elements that I think if you take the wrong step, it will sound totally weird. It showcase a lot of different talent at once and it enables for a great choreography. I definitely think that without the video, I wouldn't like the song as much.


Definitely my most listen to Kpop of the first half of 2012, What is Love is awesome track that is strangely addicting. When I think of addicting songs, it usually has "hooks" but this is a ballad track. I love that this song has that SM vibe, and I thought Yoo Young Jin was the one singing..D.O. sounded like him! The purpose of this song is to showcase D.O. and BaekHyun vocal capabilities and this song is perfect for that reason alone. The English in the song is oddly good..knowing SM loves Engrish..but maybe Teddy Riley had an input on that matter.


I thought History was average. It's a good track but nothing that makes me go crazy. So why does the song is selected as their prologue? It tells the story of EXO. I love love the rap part of the song. There's not much I could say, it's just a good track.


Another vocal centered track, Angel is another just okay. I'm not sure but on the radio only SuHo, D.O. and BaekHyun sings...it's not uncommon for SM to do that..Super Junior is always like that. I may not rave it a lot but I do love this song..just Baby Don't Cry is a better track..I don't know why they don't release it full.


I love SM Town collaboration, I really do but I don't understand why they had to in their first mini album.  I guess to bring SHINee fans to listen? Anyway it sounds good...but I just don't like the random noise in the background. I wish it sound a little more natural but it's not..Why Big Bang is awesome with Hip Hop because GD is directly involve in the recordings..which sound localize hip hop. 


Machine is ZZZZzzzz Okay it's not bad at all, it just not my kind of music. It probably will sound better when they perform it live. I like the chorus, it's addicting..but that's it.



No comments:

Koreamie~!

Hello! It's end of May and this my first post of the year. *nervous laugh It's okay..because nobody read this blog right? haha. ...