Tuesday 20 April 2010

Analysising the Idol formula.

I'm so happy a new person followed me so I'm excited to blog more often, okay..honestly more like guilty of not blogging much..stop following me! LOL kidding.

Idols..thanks to Kpop it totally change my understanding of "idol". In Kpop terms, it is used to refer popular groups like DBSK and SuJu. These days I'm seeing newbies too garner the title idol. Probably it's changing to idol = groups because groups always do well.

Typically 5 is a good number for idols group, but the current trend is the more members the better, as seen with U-Kiss and After School. I guess we can thank SuJu and SNSD for that.

Although I love seeing more group members it can be hard for the members because fans can't remember well sometimes. Yes, I still having a hard time memorizing ZE:A. Someday I will, I promised. Another thing is the share income..as you know, they don't get much from CD sales and the sales aren't great either.

From my observation, 5/6 is the best number of members. Unless it's from the big three SM, JYP and YG, I would think it's best they stick with the rule. These big three have loyal fans that know trainee and get better exposure when they get ready for debut.

Apart from having talents, appearance is a major factor in marketing idols. SM tactics is to have at least one member that have strong appearance like JaeJoong, HeeChul, TaeMin, Amber and YoonA. These listed are usually the one first noticed by fans.

As for JYP, don't have a great face? it's okay..just wear some glasses and work out. It's all about the body at JYP. YG is famously known for searching talent rather than looks which indirectly garners fan curiosity.

We as fan would love to dig up stories on our favorite celebrities would love an idol with personality. I do think the background of members are taken into great accounts. Entertainment agency usually accepts more potential trainers who have stayed overseas. It's also good if they're interested in expanding their market in China or Japan with having multilingual singers.

I see that there are rules that shapes the idol personality after a long observation.

1. Idol members are usually prevented from smoking and drinking in public for fear of ruining their image despite they're not underage.

2. Best vocalist, get less talk on variety show. It's to show mysterious image for viewers.

3. Best dancers are usually rappers

4. Ability to speak English too are usually rappers.

5. 1st debut stage is cutesy or safe..the next album is 180 degree makeover and claim that they have become manlier.

6. Manlier or sexier always comes together with dark concept.

7. Everyone had their bad hair days..*shudders at YooChun's long hair or GD's pineapple hair..

8. They always dance. ALWAYS..I don't get it why won't they perform ballads more often!

9. Their songs are like Beat It. The have the same line over and over again.

10. No matter what, someone has to rap in a ballad song..except SNSD because they don't have rappers.

No comments:

Koreamie~!

Hello! It's end of May and this my first post of the year. *nervous laugh It's okay..because nobody read this blog right? haha. ...