Monday 9 May 2016

Memory




Memory is a drama about a lawyer name Park Tae Seok played by Lee Seung Min who battles Alzheimer's disease. Upon realizing his fate, he rediscover his new purpose in life by doing what he should have done in the past and trying to undo his mistake.

Alzheimer is currently uncurable disease that only get worse over the time, the relevation of the disease to his close ones and the how his support team accepted his disease was truly admirable. The balance of empathy and wanting to be strong from the support team is beautifully done. I could not rewrite the scene any better than what the writer has done. I am amazed to see how everyone is coping with the news differently but in the same time, they were very realistic.

I enjoyed how his role as a lawyer is played. He is a humane lawyer disguise as a cruel lawyer. This is a spoiler that I want to share. In the first 2 episode, he is a lawyer without mercy and uses any tactic to ensure he wins in the court. It becomes his regret to be such lawyer and he grows into a better lawyer. His tragic past was really sad but it was a part that drives him to push through his struggle.

I didn't think I would end up liking this drama so much.

Based on summary alone, I didn't think I could started watching but I knew that Lee Sung Min is a great actor and I wanted to support (heh..suddenly feel guilty, I will buy the DVD la) by watching the drama (oooh wait, I DID. by watching tvN's YT channel). I wanted to drop after the 2nd episode but I am so glad I was bored enough to just continue it.

Memory draws a comparison with another Law/Alzheimer theme drama Remember Son's War starring Yoo Seung Ho and Park Min Young. That drama is the one I didn't bother...because I got to know that Park Min Young paired up with Yoo Seung Ho and that deflated my interest on watching the show. The drama didn't do well in ratings.. I guess partly because it was a follow up drama to Signal. Which is ashamed because this drama is a masterpiece.

I think the balance between law and Alzheimer part was done well. I kinda hated the fact they emphasize on his disease being an early stage but his symptoms is very advance. Drama, you want to give me hope or lose hope ah? My favorite part is how the relevation of the disease was out but Park Tae Seok had so much dignity that it doesn't bother him one bit.

Right there, he may be just a fictional character but I just want to applaud how dignified a person he is. The drama is like the perfectly flawed world that I want to live in.

This drama is humane and may not be everyone's cup of tea but I don't regret my time on watching this drama at all. Great job overall to the director, writers, actors and everyone involved in this drama.

If you have the time to spare, watch this drama. It's a beautiful story.

No comments:

Koreamie~!

Hello! It's end of May and this my first post of the year. *nervous laugh It's okay..because nobody read this blog right? haha. ...