Monday 25 February 2013

Learning Korean

I am happy whenever I see my twitter timeline and understand the Korean tweets. I don't understand all but it feels like an achievement.

Before I was a Kpop fan, I was more into Japanese culture because I grew up reading manga. I read less but part of me still love manga a lot. I had a group of friends who were into Japanese cultures as well. They were more advance than me, they know some Japanese phrases and can write in Japanese. I thought it was cool but never bothered to pick up the language.

I always think if I'm going to learn a new language, it has to be Chinese first. It is my ultimate goal to master Chinese. It's a complicated story but I wish someday I would be very fluent in Chinese!

However, as I become a Kpop fan.. Learning Korean was a natural process. I started to learn Hangul first because I was jealous at non kpop fans who had their names in Hangul on Facebook. Suddenly I wanted to know how to write my name in Korean. Btw it's 밀리. ㅋㅋ Hangul is really not that hard, I started with 안녕하세요, 사랑해 and 오빠.

While Hangul is easy, speaking Korean is hard. I know the difference between Jeondaemal (Formal) and Banmal (informal) but there's saturi (dialect) too. There are many ways to express a simple sentence. For example Thank You can be Kamsahamnida, kumapsumida, Kumawoyo, kamsahae or kumapta. My spelling seems odd but romanize Korean is not easy too. That's why I resort to type in hangul, because it look better.

Now I speak some Korean to my dogs. None of them understand Korean yet, but my dogs are already bilingual, so no pressure. Lol If I'm alone, I mostly mumble in Korean and when I watch Korean drama. Instead of studying like an exam, I prefer learning Korean naturally. It's a slow process, especially when I don't talk to a Korean or live in Korea.

Is it necessary for Kpop fans to learn Korean, nope. Music is universal language but there's no harm in studying hangul. Fighting!

No comments:

Koreamie~!

Hello! It's end of May and this my first post of the year. *nervous laugh It's okay..because nobody read this blog right? haha. ...