Tuesday 7 September 2010

Idol Analysis : Age appropriate

Before I continue, the drama discuss for Playful Kiss will be postponed as I couldn't watch it on Viikii (something wrong with the video..hopefully will be fix soon). As the post for Se7en MPV..it's next post! :D

I'm 20 and I already feel old. No offense to those who are older than me but I'm sure you feel the same way with younger idols debuting each day. I started the whole obsession with Kpop on 2007, where most idols are older than me. I can just call "Oppa" to any male idol but now, I got to think twice before calling them "Oppa". Oh gosh, I think I was super annoying when I first started because I keep on saying "Oppa" all the time.

It struck me to discuss about this issue as I read an article not too long time ago about Krystal and SulLi of f(x) were scolded for their behaviour. Many complain that they should act professional and how rude they were in a society that treats elderly at its highest. A little information about the Korean culture is that position and age is one of the first thing to ask in introduction. Formal language must be used around those with higher position or older than you or it would be consider rude.

I'm not old enough to be on the girls side regarding rudeness since I am a little rude at times but I think the society is asking too much from these underage. Some might forget that these girls are underage! I don't blame them though, I have to remind myself that Krystal and Sulli are still underage when I'm seeing them on stage.

As a young kid, I did have some silly dreams about being on stage. Fame is something we all secretively wanted. Now, I think otherwise. I don't admire at all that idols are getting younger instead, I pity on them having to work hard. The fancy outfits and all that glamour comes with a lot of energy being drained out. Those who is still in school not only have to practise dance routine but also doing their school revision.

I began to wonder if this whole thing is right. Isn't there a law about underage workers? What makes them so different from kids working in a factory? I remembered watching Lee Soo Man interview and he once said that it's good to debut someone early so you could fully prepare them to be bigger stars like Boa. Yes, the preparation to be a star is not done in a day but stealing a children normal exprience is cruel.

Hopefully this trend would die soon. I don't want to feel old whenever I see another 1995 debuting.

No comments:

Koreamie~!

Hello! It's end of May and this my first post of the year. *nervous laugh It's okay..because nobody read this blog right? haha. ...